Coda File System

Re: patches/merging

From: Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 16:38:54 -0400
So it sounds like we need to do a few things.  It's certainly fair that
you have not enough time to hack on Coda, but currently no one else
(outside CMU) can commit, not even longstanding well-known members of
the extended coda community.

If you are not wanting to work in CVS, that's a (valid) clue that the
time has come to move from CVS to git.   So I guess there's the question
of converting with history, using reposurgeon or something.  Then,
there's how to host the git repo so that specific other people are
allowed to push to it.

My understanding is that Rune has fixed the major ick if not all of it
with clog, and has something far more useful than the current code.  So
it should go in the repo, to be usable in the interim until the glorious
future arrives.  (IMHO, setting up a separate ad-hoc Needham-Schroeder
system with custom code that hasn't had the wide review and fixes that
Kerberos has instead of just relying on Kerberos seems totally
unreasonable in 2014; I get it that afs/coda coevolved with krb from
long long ago and there are historical reasons.)

So it seems like we need

  decide to move to git

  find a volunteeer to create reposurgeon config files or whatever to
  effect a repeatable scripted conversion from CVS to git

  decide the conversion is good enough

  convert and decommission CVS

and then there is the external write, merging of various things,
fixing/redoing the release scripts.