Coda File System

the role of "primary host"

From: <u-codalist-z149_at_aetey.se>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 11:15:00 +0200
Hello,

Here follows a somewhat academic question but an answer would help
my understanding of the code.

According to the paper
 https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~coda/docdir/sicpds.pdf
the resolution
"
protocol is designed to be resilient to subordinate, coordinator or
network failures. If a subordinate fails, the coordinator times out and
excludes it from subsequent phases of the protocol. If the coordinator
fails, the client times out and restarts the protocol, nominating
another coordinator
"

I wonder whether a resolution would ever succeed if a client at fetch
happens to mean a different "primary server" than the servers perceive
it does?

This can happen in certain situations given the changes which I make. The
traditional usage scenarios are not affected but new ones become possible
and can be useful. This is a temporary issue until the client changes
are complemented by server ones - but nevertheless interesting.

I assume that the servers would go through the resolution properly
(if all of them are available) but then which of them will reply to the
client and whether the client will be able to make sense of the answer?

How is the MultiRPC supposed to behave?

Jan, would you help me with a better grip on this code?

Rune