Coda File System

Re: FUSE/pioctl (was Re: Coda development roadmap)

From: Andrew Deason <adeason_at_sinenomine.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 10:51:53 -0500
On Sat, 2 Aug 2014 12:02:24 +0200
<u-codalist-z149_at_aetey.se> wrote:

> Does FUSE provide a suitable counterpart to the pioctl?

It should be possible to implement pioctls using ioctls or xattrs (both
of which FUSE supports, iirc). If I were to ever spend more time on the
openafs FUSE implementation, that is the route I assumed I would take to
get pioctl support. (I think I talked a little about this during some
presentation; I can find a link if anyone wants.)

Representing them as xattrs I think has other benefits, too, even
without FUSE, since it becomes a lot easier to read/write them from
tools that are aware of xattrs but are not aware of AFS or Coda or
anything like that, if you expose them as xattrs on the actual relevant
files. But I seem to recall there may be some obstacles in that
approach; and I never got to actually trying to implement it, so there
might be other issues I never even thought of :)

--
Andrew Deason
adeason_at_sinenomine.net