Coda File System

use of rwcdb in permissively licensed OSS projects

From: <u-x417_at_aetey.se>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2018 18:55:25 +0100
Dear CMU Coda group,

I appreciate compact, well done and useful software.
With that in mind I observed more than once situations where rwcdb could
provide a nice solution, outside the Coda implementation context.

My motivation for the question below is the desire to use rwcdb with/for
permissively licensed software without imposing the extra constraints
stemming from LGPL.

Would CMU be willing to release the rwcdb implementation under
some permissive terms, best of all into public domain like the cdb
implementation of Dan Bernstein, but otherwise MIT, BSD or similar?

I do explicitly _not_ mean to initiate a discussion of merits or drawbacks
of different licenses, different people do have different criteria. Here
there is only a question whether or not you would feel good about allowing
a wider, unrestricted use of rwcdb.

Given that rwcdb has been stable for quite a long time, there is hardly
any elevated risk of third parties hiding their in-house improvements
from the community. To the contrary, a wider usability of the library
might create opportunities for fixes and improvements.

Regards,
Rune