Coda File System

Re: Coda-7.0.1 release

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 11:47:27 -0500
On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 11:21:59AM -0500, Jan Harkes wrote:
> Just a heads up, I just pushed out Coda-7.0.1 and it has several
> features that are in development, one of which breaks RVM compatibility
> on the Coda client.

I guess I should expand a little on the new features.

- codatunnel enabled by default

    Coda clients and servers now spawn a helper daemon that tunnels RPC2
    and SFTP through a TCP connection when possible. Because TCP
    connections provide reliable ordered delivery we can suppress
    certain retransmissions. Also masquerading firewalls are better at
    tracking state of TCP connections unlike UDP where the redirections
    are dropped after a short timeout, or in some cases when the first
    'reply' packet is observed.

- VASTRO, support for streaming large objects

    With this we allow a client to open a file before it is locally
    cached and then we block on the read or mmap operations until the
    accessed section has been fetched. Still a bit experimental and
    needs kernel changes that haven't been upstreamed yet. Also the
    cause for the RVM incompatibilities and slower reinitialization
    times.

- 9PFS, add a plan9 file system server to Coda clients

    When enabled a Coda client can now act as a Plan 9 server over the
    mariner port (defaults to /var/run/coda-client.mariner). Not enabled
    by default because I haven't isolated user identities yet and we
    don't want just any plan 9 client to pretend to be some user that
    has locally authenticate with his Coda token.