Coda File System

Re: FW: Using Coda for caching on local machine rather than over network? ??

From: David C. Steere <dcs_at_cse.ogi.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 11:26:25 -0800
I think what he's asking is whether Coda can export local files the way NFS
servers can.

One of the problems this would raise would be that it breaks Coda's
consistency model (where the servers are assumed to be the true home of
data, and the only changes to data on the server come from coda clients
through the normal protocol). This of course assumes that one can update
the local files.

Here's why I'd like such a thing. We just bought a big netappliance file
server that speaks nfs. Our central facilities will only backup data stored
on the netappliance (don't ask why:( Ideally, I'd like the Coda server to
access these files via NFS, e.g. the coda files are really nfs files.
However, this introduces wierd failure modes. Alternatively, I could keep
coda files in the local file system and copy them into NFS when they get
updated (as a side effect of store). This would mean coda clients get the
right semantics, yet I could "export" coda files to other nfs clients via
our NetApp box.

The only thing this really requires (I think) is a way of mapping the coda
server files to names in the NFS world. One way is to replicate the coda
name space seen by the clients in the NFS world. This would require
venus-like functionality on the server. Alternatively, if you had enough
disk space you could have a venus do the copies to NFS as a side effect of
caching, but that would be substantially ugly imho.

Anyone working on something like this?

just musing...

david.