Coda File System

Re: Various server problems...

From: Troy Benjegerdes <hozer_at_drgw.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 02:46:38 -0600 (CST)
On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Elliot Lee wrote:

> First I go try to make an 880M RVM data thingie (experimenting as if I
> were going to make a 20G server thing). Doing it manually (since the
> script wouldn't figure it out),
>
> [root_at_atlas coda-5.0.0]# rdsinit -f /vdat/cuc-log /vdat/cuc-data 922746880
> 0x20000000 964689920 0x100000 80 32
> rvm_initialize succeeded.
> Going to initialize data file to zero, could take awhile.
> done.
> ?  ERROR: rds_zap_heap RVM_EINTERNAL.

Heh, when I did the port to PPC I ran across an error like this, and
realized that if you ask for 880M of RVM data, RVM will want to grab 880 M
of virtual address space, leaving only 220M (I *think* x86 and ppc get a
gig of VM..) for program code and thread stack space. Maybe an Alpha would
be happier with this, with 64 bit addressing and all...

Didn't someone discuss the possibility of modifing RVM to not require so
much VM at one time? Maybe now would be a good time to push to get kernel
modifications needed to allow this?

> didn't work, so I selected the 315M size in vice-setup, so far so good,
> but vice-setup-rvm should allow for a wider range of sizes...
>
> I start the server, the thing eats up RAM out the wazoo:
>
> 983 root      11   0  252M 231M   696 R       0 13.8 92.1   0:04 codasrv
>
> And it crashes (see attached log file and stack trace). I have 256M real +
> 128M swap space on the system - is that enough for a 315M RVM data file?
>
> So, how can I help fix these problems? :)
>
> Also, I remember way back there used to be a kernel module that would
> allow open-by-inode or something, to speed codasrv up with the /vicepa
> stuff. Is this still existent relevant?
> -- Elliot
> "In film you will find four basic story lines. Man versus man, man
>  versus nature, nature versus nature, and dog versus vampire."
>     - Steven Spielberg

| Troy Benjegerdes    |       troy_at_microux.com     |    hozer_at_drgw.net   |
|    Unix is user friendly... You just have to be friendly to it first.  |
| This message composed with 100% free software.    http://www.gnu.org   |