Coda File System

Re: laptop went to redhat 6.0, venus stops working

From: <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 16:46:20 -0400
ivey_at_realminfo.com said:
| > Is there anything useful in /usr/coda/etc/console or /usr/coda/ >
| venus.cache/venus.log?
|
| in console, there's this error: 19:58:17 fatal error -- CommInit:
| getservbyname failed; check /etc/services
|
| but /etc/services seems OK...still has my old entries.  i hope it's
| that simple, so i attached the services file below.
|
| hope that helps...am i the first to make the 6.0 jump?

It actually looks correct, venus fails when getservbyname fails for
either the venus/udp or the venus-se/udp port. Which are 100% in your
/etc/services file. Now why would getservbyname return NULL?

Hmm, venus is dynamically linked against libc.so.6, and didn't redhat
move to glibc2.1? I will be bitching and moaning into the new century
if they actually managed to break the libc binary API, without changing
the version number. But it really looks like the new glibc is suspect.

Just guessing that you must be the first to switch to 6.0, we're
still running a mix of redhat 5.0/5.2 machines, and I haven't seen
this problem reported before.