Coda File System

Coda and FHS

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <turnbull_at_sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 12:27:50 +0900

    Minh>   While I understand there are many advantages to have files
    Minh> under /coda, I have not found in the doc how to make this
    Minh> consistent with the File Hierarchy Standard.

FHS is mandated for Linux distributions.  This makes interoperability
of utilities much simpler.  But local admins do not have to conform if
they have reason not to.  /home -> /coda/home seems like a good reason
for varying from FHS to me.  Anyway, I don't really see the difference
between this and mounting a separate Unix file system on /home.

    Ha> It seems that one has to use lots of links, for example to map
    Ha> /usr/share and /home to some point under the /coda.

I don't see why this is a problem.  It's not that many links; /home
and /usr/share are the main ones I can think of offhand.  You might
also want to do this for some of the caches (eg, TeX's fonts) under
/var, but you wouldn't want to do it for /var itself.

I don't see any way to avoid links with current Coda technology, since
there can only be one /coda per machine.  So you couldn't mount coda
on both /home and /usr/share (and AFAIK mounting somewhere other than
/coda is not all that well tested).