Coda File System

Re: Problems with tar archives

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <turnbull_at_sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 19:05:59 +0900

    Jan> Actually this is a FAQ, the untar very quickly creates many
    Jan> files.  When creating the many directories the server slows
    Jan> down and as a result clients assume this is due to network
    Jan> congestion and back off quite agressively by switching to
    Jan> write-disconnected operation.

I'm having a similar problem with CVS updates.  An update in a big
tree (XEmacs) often terminates with a Coda timeout (unfortuantely I
don't have a log around because I'm having worse problems with coda,
so the cron job hasn't found anything to update in days---separate
msg).  AFAIK cvs updates do not create many files (assuming few
changed files, which is the case here; AFAIK the only thing they
always create is CVS/Entries.backup in each directory), but they do do
a lot of stats.

Could this be the same problem?