Coda File System

OpenISR 0.9.1

From: Matt Toups <mtoups_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:11:00 -0500 (EST)
OpenISR users,

We have released version 0.9.1 as an update to the 0.9 series of the OpenISR
platform.  This update provides many performance improvements over the 0.9
release as well as usability improvements.  We recommend that all 0.9 users
upgrade; the upgrade from 0.9 should be easy and should only improve your
ISR experience.

As usual, links to the source and binary packages are available from here:
http://isr.cmu.edu/download.html

If you are using the apt or yum repositories you should be able to upgrade
through your package manager.  We have packages for most of the common versions
of Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  When you upgrade to or install 0.9.1 using a deb or rpm
package, a group 'isrusers' will be created on your system, and you will
need to add your username to that group (i.e. "addgroup <username>
isrusers").

Upgrading from 0.8.x: We still have a few users still using the 0.8 series
releases.  The upgrade to the 0.9.x series requires a server-side parcel
conversion, as explained in the 0.9 release notes.  Please contact me
(mtoups_at_cs.cmu.edu) to begin this process.  We are planning to phase out
isrserver09 which is hosting the 0.8.x content relatively soon.

As always, contact me or the list if you have questions about installing and
upgrading OpenISR.

-matt

CHANGES:

====== 0.9.1 (2008-02-12)

------ Client changes

- Major hoard cache performance improvements
- Performance improvements to lshoard, rmhoard, and stat subcommands
- Update udev rules to make /dev/loop* and /dev/openisrctl mode 660, group
   "isrusers".  (The group name can be overridden using the --with-group
   configure option.)
- Add -Y/--splice checkp option for use in recovering data from a damaged
   local cache
- Automatically run checkp at resume/checkin time if the previous resume
   terminated abnormally
- Warn before resuming a parcel with a damaged local cache
- Show total size of all VMM state, not just the memory image file, in
   "isr stat"
- Add bash completion rules for "isr" command
- Add logtype field to parcel log messages
- Fix "Couldn't generate tag list" error at checkout/checkin
- Fix ATTACH error at Parcelkeeper startup
- Fix keyroot disclosure on multi-user client hosts with world-readable home
   directories
- Fix symlink attacks; respect TMPDIR environment variable
- Fix fcntl locking through libvdisk on 64-bit platforms
- Error out, rather than displaying a password prompt, when connecting to a
   server we don't have authentication credentials for
- Correctly notice the lack of a network connection when there are no active
   network interfaces
- Fix "isr hoard" on clients which have never done a checkout
- Miscellaneous fixes and cleanups
- Packaging updates

------ Server changes

- Fix checkparcel for parcels whose CHUNKSIZE is not a multiple of CHUNKSPERDIR
- Fix symlink attacks
- upgrade-0.9: Fix bug which could cause converted parcels to fail checkparcel
   validation
- upgrade-0.9: Refuse to run if the source parcel is checked out
- upgrade-0.9: Do not fail if the source parcel has never been checked out

------ isr_admin changes

- copyparcel: Fix generation of invalid parcel.cfg files
- makeparcel: Generate appropriate .vmx and .vmdk files for the new parcel.
   Add mandatory -m/--memsize option.
- copyparcel: Prune cfg tarball and update parcel-specific parameters in .vmx
   file
- Add delparcel command