Coda File System

Re: when /rvm fills up /, bad things happen

From: Yui-wah LEE (Clement) <clement_at_ux3.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 14:29:58 -0400 (EDT)

> I thought I would drop you a note about a problem I had with coda:
>
> I allowed / to fill up, and /rvm is on /, which caused my system to
> get very unhappy.  The error messages were cryptic, and nothing in the
> log seemed to help me see what was going on (it is tough to write to a
> log when the log device is full though....)  Venus got so confused
> that one client had to be rebooted.

Hi, Bradley,

Can you be more specific on what do you mean by /rvm fill up ?

RVM use two files (or partition): log file and data segment.  Both of
them have fixed size.  When space in log file are used up, RVM will
"truncate" the log, which means RVM will reflect the transaction
records in log file to data segment and hence reclaim the space.  Log
truncation is done automatically when the log is filled up above a
preset threshold, currently it is set to 50 percent.  The log will
also wrap around, so it has fixed size and should not fill up the
partition where it lives.

-- Clement